26.6 C
Sunday, April 21, 2024

Only a civil suit can evict the settlers at Harijan colony, says Adv Kynta


Shillong, May 13: The best possible option is to file a Civil Suit for the eviction of the settlers at Harijan colony at Them Iewmawlong, said Adv VGK Kynta on Tuesday.

Adv Kynta informed that by the direction of the Single Judge of the Meghalaya High Court, retd. Justice SR Sen has ordered that if there is a need to evict the people from Harijan colony at Thew Ïewmalong, one has to file for a civil suit.

“You can do whatever you want but to evict these people is near to impossible.. possession is nine points of the law”, he added.

One who has physical control or possession over the property is clearly at an advantage or is in a better possession than a person who has no possession over the property, added Adv Kynta.

They (Harijans) have been in that place for a very long time, it is impossible to evict them. Now to identify who is the authorised and illegal settlers is something near to impossible, said Kynta.

It maybe mentioned, the government has sent a proposed blueprint to the Harijan Panchayat Committee (HPC) to reallocate the 342. However, the HPC has earlier rejected the relocation proposal (blueprint) of the government terming the same as “incomplete, unsuitable, unprepared, unfair and undemocratic”.

- Advertisement -spot_img

More articles


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

- Advertisement -spot_img